Sunday, April 27, 2008

Following in the footsteps of our Father

This week at school the kids had "take your children to work day". This isn't really ever going to be a possibility for our kids, soooo after Camdyn's soccer game we headed out to Beaverton for a surprise visit. They LOVE to visit daddy at the station. I think Brody looks like he could get used to this kind of work!
The girls love playing on this old fashion fire truck. Isn't it adorable?



Earlier this year Todd was promoted to Lueitenant and is now stationed at Firehouse 67 in Beaverton which houses both an engine and a truck. This means 8 men at the firehouse, plus the Captian and the Chief are on the same shift. 10 guys in one house is a lot. Many personalities to mesh with and lots of cooking! Todd wowed them with Cumin salad and yummy bread the other day. That's a lot of salad to make!
It just so happened that when we pulled in several of them were right in the middle of a very important volleyball tournament. I think losing team had to do dishes:> The game was interrupted by a call....so it was quickly brushing off the sand and heading out (the above photo leaving the station).
No matter how many people call this a cushy job (volleyball, recliners, workout room, Kelly day's, super fabulous retirement, pensions, 401K's and medical)....the fact is, a firefighter risks his life when responding to a 911 fire emergency. How many 9 to5 businessmen do that? More firefighters die in house fires than commercial fires because of the fact that there are just MORE housefires. One year he did the Stair Climb for MS in Seattle. 69 flights of stairs in full gear breathing oxygen. Now, I love to climb stairs....but not with an added 50 pounds of weight on me! Wait, I did that up and down for 9 months and gasping for air after one flight of stairs.
We arrived as dinner was being prepared. Briskets yummm. I made the crew two batches of kettle korn for an evening snack.
I wonder if they have assigned recliners? "Hey Jeff I had that chair first"....or how about "I outrank you move over".

Dang, I forgot to document Todd going down the firepole. Not many stations have them because they are single story. This is one of the largest and it does have one. It's really cool lookin' too, and they really do use it....otherwise it's running to the back of the station, down two flights of stairs and around to the rigs. Another time.

This has been a special behind the scenes report by Stacey Lake


8 comments:

Annie said...

Let me be the first to say..."That is one HUNKY firefighter you have there":) I don't think we as Americans, appreciate these unsung heroes. Todd, you know I adore you and apprciate what you do for the safety and well-being of your community. You carry the burdens and sorrows of your job with dignity.

Jord said...

Very cool Stacey. I loved hearing and seeing what Todd does and definitely appreciate those who put themselves in the line of fire (literally) to protect the rest of us. Thanks for sharing!

Hunter said...

I have a friend that just got became a fire fighther. I agree with you Aunt Mary Ann. They do not get the respect they deserve. We need a family reunion again so I can meet up with all the Lake family. It's been far too long.

SaraPete said...

Stace, you should have been an anchor-woman! Do you think Todd could get Cody a job there?? I loved the comment about you doing the stairs w/ an extra 50lbs...amen to that!!!

Lindsey said...

What a great news report Stace. I like that you pointed out the "perks" of the job, to be realistic, but at the end of the day it's not sooo cushy. It really bothers me when people, expecially other men, down play the role of a fire fighter, they're just jealouse. That picture of Brody in the chair is too cute.

Steph said...

What a fun day for your kids! I know that the activity day girls were all very interested in Todd's job when he came and talked to them. Thanks, Todd and all fire fighters for all you do!

Lee said...

i loved getting a glimpse into todd's life at work- what a hunky firefighter indeed- congrats on the promotion too- that's awesome.

Nicole Jackson said...

I know that Jon and I both give Todd a hard time about his great schedule, but we do appreciate what they do for us! What a fun day for the kiddos!