Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ogden Valley Marathon

Dad got this idea in his head..."Wouldn't it be great if the whole family got together and did the Marathon?". So after signing up all his daughters and a couple of the son-in-laws, Annie and himself.... we probably had the largest family in the event!
Sara started the 1st leg of her Marathon relay with me up near Causey Resevoir. It was chilly at 6:30 a.m. There were plenty of bonfires to warm out legs and to my joy, plenty of potty's!!! Once the sun came out it warmed right up....and then kept on warming up. We shed our gloves pretty quick and were glad we'd worn sunblock and sunglasses.
Usually we get to see the not so green parts of Utah in the dry, hot months of August, but this was lush and beautiful. Snow capped mts and river run off through the canyon. Gorgeous! This was such a scenic course. Great aid stations and water stops. I'd have to say even better than Portlands. It's easy to have a PR amidst all the energy. Knowing that would not be the case I still was thrilled when I was running faster than I'd predicted given the altitude and the amount of training I'd done (or hadn't done :>). Mile 13 came and I was on track for a qualifying time, then mile 18 and still it was in sight. Then mile 20 came, and so did the lactic acid in my quads. It permiated the entire muscle and left me rethinking my goal time of 3:40.



Painfully I ran in the last 6 miles. Todd was there the last 1/2 mile and ran in with me, helping me complete my 8th marathon in 3:51. It was warm that day, high 80's. My dad and Todd and cousin Rachel ran the half. Mom, Linny and Jamie walked the half. Sara and Cody did the relay with friends. It was fun seeing everyone at the end

The post race eats were the best! Jamba Juice, fruit, and Great Harvest Bread with butter and honey. YUM!! Todd has contracted the marathon bug!





8 comments:

Annie said...

I dare you to do the half marathon with me next time, MY way. I'll pay you not to run it!

Stacey said...

You and I both know it can't be done. I take that back....I'll walk it with you this summer. Although I don't know how safe that would be in the canyon. How about you come up here and I'll map one out downtown. Now that would be fun! Shin splints anyone??

SaraPete said...

Stacey, good job!! You and Todd are amazing, you make it look so easy!!

Lee said...

i love how it was a family affair! congrats on your 8th marathon! way to go. i'm glad todd got the bug. that will be fun for you guys

Natalie said...

It looks like it was so much fun to have your family there doing it too! We are running the Bolder Boulder on Monday and I'm way excited/nervous. (And I really wish you would be here to help me with my house! It needs a lot and on a limited budget!)

Annie said...

hay! which one of you girls ran with a camera so you could get that picture at the start? or did cody take it?

Stacey said...

I had it stashed in the car. Cody pulled right up and let us out. I think it made all those who took the 5a.m. bus a little jealous!

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

Man... A 3:51 Time... You are amazing... Hopefully by my 8th I will be able to cut my time to be somewhere close to that. Chad told me who you were... and I have heard MANY stories about you... glad to finally have a face to put to the name... Your family looks adorable and it will be fun to check in on you guys. Thanks for finding us.