Sunday, August 17, 2008

Balloon Beauty

Day 15......Our last morning in Utah. For the last 3 summers we've been able to view the Eden Hot Air Balloon Festival right out my parents back door. Sometimes we've gone right to the venue to see them take off. This year Brody viewed them for the first time as we chased around the valley on Linny's bike in the cool early morning sun. It was the most magnificent sight Brody has ever seen:>

At this point I am kicking myself for not waking everyone else up. The balloons launch fairly early and we had a long drive ahead of us. I went back to the house and Camdyn was awake. So I had her hop on a bike and chase balloons with Brody and I. They land at various points around the valley. It just so happened to be only a mile from my parents that several touched down.

Todd had hopped on Sara's bike and found us just in time to see the last one touch down. He was disappointed as well that I hadn't woken everyone. It was amazing to see how fast these huge, colorful balloons are deflated, wrapped up and put on into trailers. Rates for these balloon ride start at $175. Not thinking we'll ever view this sight from anywhere other than the ground.
The Balloon Festival hosts several venues around the valley. We grabbed the kids and headed up to Wolf Mt. which is 3 miles from Skeen's to check out the festival, booths, vedors and activities. We rode the ski tram to the top of Wolf Mt, hiked around, bought a crepe, roasted Bavarian almonds and Todd bought me this watch I had my eye on from one of the vendors. On our ride up the tram I asked him if he wanted to stay. He had offered to fly home and I could stay longer and drive home alone with the kiddies. Except for the fact that I had made commitments this week back in Vancouver I would have loved to have stayed. We had a great last day, packed up and headed out by 2 pm as planned. I think my sobbing cries as we pulled out were due to the fact that I didn't stay long enough. Usually we go for several weeks, which may soon be too long for my mom :> I must remember not to make committments on the tail end of this trip :> Driving home I told Todd I hoped it would be raining. I'm looking forward to school starting in 2 1/2 weeks and Fall!

10 comments:

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

that is so beautiful. I am sure the kids just loved it... My neighbor fly's balloon's and I would love to get in one.. I guess the fear of heights stops me from asking him for a ride. There is something like that in New Mexico by my grandparents house. . WHAT A SIGHT....It really looks magical !!

Vonnie said...

Wow, what a trip Stacey. You probably need a vacation from your vacation. Looks like you had a great time!

Annie said...

Did you take those balloon pictures or get them off the web? They look beautiful. Next year, wake me up!!

Rebecca said...

What a fantastic adventure for your kids. Creative trips like yours always help to make summer so much more memorable.

Rebecca said...

PS it is raining

Kylee said...

I forget that they do those balloons in Liberty. That looks so cool! I might have to take a trip down there sometime to watch it. I'm glad you guys had a fun time here and it was so good to see you!

Lindsey said...

I am so bummed that I didn't get up and go Sunday morning. Next year for sure!! Also, I never saw those magical watches, perhaps you could do a blog post?

Steph said...

I love visiting my fam in Utah. I don't care how long I stay I always get teary as I love. It just seems so wrong to be so far away from those you love!

Ashley May said...

I want to see your family pics! Post them! :O)

Dannielle said...

I've always wanted to go to a balloon festival...someday...it is on my list of things to do :)Glad you had a great trip!