Saturday, October 11, 2008

Apples, pumpkins and marshmallows, oh my

Typically each Fall we take an overnight holiday to Cannon Beach. This year we wanted to try somplace different, but with taking the kids out of school, possible rainy weather and soccer-filled Saturdays, we decided to make a few fun day trips instead. Friday the kids were out of school. We left early to hit Washington Square (for a few essentials for the kids). Then headed out to North Plains Oregon. Seeing that I didn't bring enough apples we found this cute stand off the freeway. I just love this about the Northwest.....fresh seasonal fruit stands are so country living. Apples are one of the kids' favorite snacks! We've been coming to Lakeview farms pumpkin patch since before Kenna was born. It's quaint, NOT swarming with unpleasant crowds and has the most adorable paddle boat that takes us across the lake with a train returning back....pumpkins in tow.
This shark scares Camdyn EVERY year!
Brody was adorable trying to pick up baby pumpkins.....he kept tripping in the vines and falling.

No.....we dont' let the kids take home pumpkins quite this big.Picking out pumpkins is like picking out a Christmas tree....you usually end up with the first one you saw.
The hay maze was perfect size for Brody. He loved it!
I LOVE MY CAMERA!!! When my camera got lost and Todd suggested we purchase a NICE one, I was skeptical as to whether or not we really needed one so nice. I was wrong. I haven't even begun to figure out more than a few settings and it's amazing all I can capture compared to my old one with a 10 second pause time between each picture.
These were just a few I was figuring out how to take in action shots. No way was I getting these with my old camera.
After our pumpkins were loaded up and we purchased some carmel corn from the vendors we headed west towards the coast.
When we arrived at Cannon Beach we ate lunch at our favorite Pizza a Feta......
Todd gave each of the kids $5 to buy whatever they wanted at Bruce's Candy Kitchen. They were lovin' that independance and took quite awhile picking out exactly which candy they wanted.

The weather was absolutely perfect and sunny. Cammy wanted to walk barefoot and play in the water, yes her toes were red but she hardly complained.

Cannon Beach Sandcastle days has sculptures like this only BIGGER, about a dozen or more. We just found this walking down the beach.

I love candid action shots. I love haystack rock.
This was taken as the tide was coming in....faster than Kennedy realized and soaked up inside her boots.
I brought bread and hot dog buns from home. These birds aren't shy to say the least.....one grabbed it right out of Todd's hand as he was holding it just talking to me!
We like to throw it up to them while in a flight pattern. The stronger those birds can hold position, the more likely it is they'll get some bread. It's SO fun to feed the Cannon Beach Gulls.

Even Brody got the jist of feeding these birdies. They weren't afraid of that little pint size dude either..... ....however, he wasn't too amused with them chasing him around. This face is classic!
Griffin found this kelp. Looks like a snake or an Indiana Jones whip. Whapshaaaaa!
The crowning part of the day was the roaring fire Todd built on the beach, just as the sun was setting. We bought wood and smore forks at the Mariner Market and roasted marshmallows while the girls played in the sand. The most adorable part was when I offered Brody, who was playing with a stick of the kindling, a marshmallow and he stuck his stick out for me to put it on the end like we were doing with our metal forks. He may not speak a speck, but he's very observant.
Heading home we stopped for a LATE night dinner....9 p.m., at the most yummiest rest. Costa Vida. We all shared a few salads and got home by 10:00. I love fun-filled day trips....especially in SUNNY weather! I didn't even say WARM weather :>



13 comments:

Thompson Tales said...

hey Stacey...Bristyn was reading your blog with me and she just can't believe how beautiful your girls are (well, we always thought they were, but they have really grown into their own!!!). I miss the Lakes!!! and the northwest!!!

Nicole Jackson said...

I called you yesterday to see how the beach was and now I know! It looks like a fun day. I love all the shots you got with your camera. Are you lovin it now?

Annie said...

I can't even begin to say which was my favorite part of this post. I wish I was at the pumpkin patch with you though. That place is a magic find. The Cannon Beach pictures speak for themselves. Glad you had so much fun. Why did we sell our cottage with only an $80,000 mortgage? We're losers.

Lindsey said...

So pretty much your camera totally rocks! Those pictures and the quality you captured is priceless, or at the very least worth the $1500 camera. My heart hurts when I look at your blog and realize that your life could be my life, as far as location and activities. I answered all your questions on my blog under your comment, but yes that was the red rock church guy who threw that party, shaweet huh?

The Frosts said...

Stacey, these look like PROFESSIONAL shots! Amazing. That picture of Brody in the wheelbarrow looks like it belongs in a catalog or something. Looks like an amazing day!

Kylee said...

What fun times! I love all your pictures- your new camera seems awesome! I especially love the one where the kids are running down the beach!

Jamie Jo said...

I sort of feel like to cry now. What a fun day! It's been snowing here already. I will now HATE where I live until mid-March. I'm so jealous of all your fun times. I wish I had a husband and children that liked to have fun as a family. (I don't know what Harry Potter party you were talking about.)

Lee said...

What an awesome adventure. You are such a great photographer, and a wonderful memory maker. Keep up the good work!

The Morgans said...

How fun! I am a bit jelous of the Camera

tutus n bowties said...

After seeing your post I've decided my hubby and I have to come visit you guys! You live in the most magical place I swear! Plus your kids are getting so big and I hardly know them...this must change soon!

Tracy said...

What fun fall memories!! I love that you guys have to wear coats...it really is fall where you are...not fake fall like it is here :) p.s. how the heck do you take such great pictures?!?

Trace Skeen said...

Wow. It's like a past life passing before my eyes. I am so delighted that you have added to many of the memories we hold dear from the nine years in Portland. (Message to Annie: Because the mortgage was $80,000). You have such a good idea for people shots and how blessed you are with four beautiful children.

Ashley May said...

Wow you got some AWESOME pictures with your new camera. I must say I am jealous. Maybe I should invest in a nicer camera so I can take pictures of my kids :O)