Thursday, April 23, 2009

Diary of the Marathon

When I was a little girl my father would say, "Stace, come run with me." Sometimes that would mean biking alongside him. Other times it was going to the track and riding laps while he ran. As I grew older I began to go on my own accord, asking him to meet me downtown on the quiet streets of Portland at 5:30 a.m. for a predawn run. After my first baby came an urge to set a lofty goal, thus was born the desire for the Marathon.

Now after 11 years 4,000 miles of running (counting only marathon training runs), 34 pair of running shoes, 9 Marathons and a few foot injuries I have reached the Holy Grail of Running, something I thought impossible when I set my goal back in 1998. The Boston Marathon.
Twice I had qualified only to be set back by a foot injury or the choice of having another baby. What kept leading me back was the will to drive myself, push beyond my limits and most of all....have alone time to clear my head! Focusing my thoughts and releasing energy has helped me to be a better mother and wife, giving time to myself on the most glorious mornings.

I am inspired by what the human body and better yet, the human mind can accomplish. I am inspired by what those who without much natural athletic ability can accomplish when they've placed a goal in their path. It is to these athletes that I applaud. To the first woman, who against the odds had the courage to run in a Marthon led only by males trying to shove her off the route, but kept her course.
It was at the starting line of this, my 10th Marathon that I felt the thrill of all of the miles I had run come together for one glorious day of celebration.

From Hopkinton to Boston the residents and spectators came out to cheer each and every individual who, with their own story had made it on the course that day. The route weaved through the campus of Welsley College and Boston College where the cheers from the students could be heard half a mile away!
Though the miles took a more painful turn for me at the half-way mark, it was this cheering from thousands of supporters that kept me from walking and helped me relish the experience. Local residents came out with orange slices, licorice, popcicles, and newton's. Little children would say "please take my water" as they held out small cups to the runner's. I have never experienced a community come out to support an event in this magnitude.

Without the support of my parents, especially my father....who used to "make me" exercise. I would not have had this experience.
It seems appropriate to me then that they were there for my Start 1998 and were there for my Finish a decade later........
Our Hotel the Marriott Long Wharf.


Boston's Beacon Hill District was so charming.

Although it was cool out, it was sunny AND not raining!

Who wants to rest while on vacation. Certainly I never have, so why start now? We walked for 6 hours on Sunday.


Toured many historical sites, cemetaries and monuments.


This looks like a scene right out of a movie set in England.
The Expo was enormous, and run like a well oiled machine. Got my registration packet and on our way.......
....across the bridge we walked to Cambridge. Ate lunch at a cafe outside Harvard and M.I.T.
Harvard wasn't what I'd expected. I thought it would be more grand and lush and large and really look like an Ivy League School. I didn't even see any ivy!
That night we dined at the Living Room with my cousin Jenni Skeen and her parents and friend from college. Jenni had told me she was running last summer and we both thought it would be fun to come the same year. She's a talented, smart 7th grade math teacher in Washington D.C. who also happens to be a fabulously fast runner. I can't keep up with her in my old age. Maybe she'll catch up to me (or catch back to me rather). Marathon morning I happened to be staying at the same hotel as some friends from Camas and we all walked over to the Common's togther to catch the caravans of buses going to Hopkinton. As we kept driving and driving I commented on the fact that this is going to be a long run back!!!
Comrades from Lacamas.
Jenni Skeen and myself.

We were trying to stay warm inside this tent........
My teeth were chattering all morning that later that night my jaw was sore when I went to eat something.
The sun came out for an hour and although it was only maybe 50 with clouds and 15 mph headwind, I still got sunburned.
I've cried after a few marathons for different reasons. Pride, happiness, accomplishment, and pain. This one was for all of those reasons.
After a soak in the hottub and lite dinner I was good as new (we were pretending this is what I wanted to do).
The next day Trace had to leave on business so that left Annie and I to tour and shop and eat cookies at our own leisure. I do say, Annie may be a bigger cookie moster than me!
We were out walking with a few rides off and on the trolley for 6 more hours that day and 2 hours the next! Annie and I walked from our hotel to the North End Italian district which was so adorable with it's outside cafe's and blooming windowboxes. There was much history to see so we set ourselves on that. The North Church where the 2nd candle was lit to warn that the British are coming!
Mom wanted to add this to her garden.
There was a little bit of rain. I didn't mind in the least. I have come to terms with the fact that I like rain and anything over 70 feels hot to me. How did I grow up in Arizona?!
Now this is a fabulous idea for church. Each family gets their own box! The door closes and the punks can do as they please at your feet and no one will see them eating cheerios.
Truly my dad has made several sacrifices in his line of work so that we can enjoy traveling at his expense. It was known among all my friends who stayed here how much hotels in Boston range during this weekend. $500 a night for the hotel we stayed in right behind me! Needless to say I may not be seeing the beautifully clean city of Boston in the near future.
It has made me want to come home and transform my porch into an better kept garden bed. As all trips must come to an end, so must this lengthy narration.
Remember those things I was thinking during the end of my run mom and dad? I was just kidding :>

24 comments:

Thompson Tales said...

I am so glad that you got to experience the Boston Marathon, as a spectator, I LOVE IT, it is true, there is no other marathon in the world that has as much support as the Boston!!! Gives me chills....your comment about Boston being a clean city??? You need to go to the projects and see that!!! gross!!! I miss Boston and my mom!!!

Steph said...

Great job Stacey! I will never run a marathon, but it has been fun running this Spring!

Sister Kaylie Victoria Crofts said...

What an awesome accomplishment, Stacey! You should be very proud!

Jamie Jo said...

Stacey, that made me teary. I am proud of you too. I remember being at your first marathon in Portland. I got so choked up when you ran by. Josh, who would have only been about 6 or so said, "She's skinny!" Then he looked at me and said, "You should start running." Nice. Anyway, good job and good post!

cjdustin said...

You are amazing. What an accomplishment!

jrushing said...

Wow what a great accomplishment! You rock!

Lindsey said...

Stace that was so well written. You should send that in to your local newspaper or the Ensign or something. If I were an emotional person I might have even shed a tear. I'm so proud of the physical accomplishments you've made. But mostly I'm so proud of where they've taken you mentally and the perspective they've given you. I only hope that every athlete can have your mentality on life and what is important.

Lee said...

Wow Stace- GREAT job. I loved your post about it and the feeling you had that you shared. I really can't imagine it. I'm so happy for you that you got to fulfill a goal you've had for so long!

Kylee said...

That was a good post! I'm so impressed with all the marathons you've run! I think it's so awesome and such a great accomplishment!

SaraPete said...

That was such a good post Stacey! How come I always cry when you run a marathon, but didn't shed a tear watching THE NOTEBOOK?? When I grow up, I want to be like you!

Jenny said...

I am officially delurking. Congratulations on accomplishing your goal.

Everyone said I should give you a call while we lived up north, and now that we are officially moving back, I'm kind of mad at myself for not. Oh well. I still have six weeks right?

Jenny

Tess said...

Today you're my favorite author!

tutus n bowties said...

Ever since I heard you were in Boston running the marathon I have been anxiously waiting for your post! Question...Did you start our with 5k then 10k and so fourth? Or did you just go big from the beginning? I really want to run a half and am trying so hard to stay focused on training for it but I tend to struggle some weeks. Is it better to run slower for a longer time, or switch it up every day? Anywho, good job! P.s. Wicked was amazing! I'm so glad I ended up being able to go.

Nicole Jackson said...

Great post! I loved reading it and hearing about it also! I'm glad that you had such a great time after with your mom! Seeing those pictures makes me want to go this summer with Jon! So we'll see! I can't believe that you've now done 10 marathons! What an amazing accomplishment! I'm not so sure about doing one ever! We need to find one that you and Ali can do the full and I'll do another half!

Ashley May said...

Congratulations Stacey. You amaze me!!!!

Vonnie said...

Stacey, way to go!!! I'm so proud of you for reaching a very lofty goal. That is an amazing accomplishment and every marathoner knows what it takes to run one (including Rick who sends his congrats.) Boston is the grand daddy of them all. Way to go in climbing YOUR Mt. Everest.

Dannielle said...

Congratulations - that is a huge accomplishment! And yes I am still loving it here - I love the sun. I need it and it makes me happy. If you and your family ever come down here it would be fun to see you.

Annie said...

Just last Sunday we were heading to the lounge for late night cookies and cheese cake! It was so much fun to share your marathon with you and be there for the finish line and to hear you give your retirement speach....and then I read this disclainer!!! You are so funny, kid. I KNEW you wouldn't be hanging up the shoes. Nor should you. Thanks for the wonderful time and for the fun I had with you after T left. Yes, you can have my poster. Sorry you left yours on the plane.

The Plewe Clan said...

Congrats! That is so awesome! I loved that you and Jenni met up and could experience that together. If you think that you are slow...wow I might be the turtle in the story of the turtle and the hare! You are so amazing! I loved all the pictures - looks like you had a ton of fun!
I am going to agree with Sara..I want to be like you when I grow up! Oh dang I guess I am there...stinks!

Alicia said...

THE BOSTON MARATHON!!!! You are amazing. I can't even run down the street. Seriously, that's one of those things people write down in their things-to-do-before-they-die list. It's up there with climbing Mt. Everest.

Ericka said...

You are amazing! What an accomplishment!

Natalie said...

YAY Stacey! You are freaking awesome. I got all teary eyed when I saw the picture of the first woman to run a marathon being pushed out of the way. Tonight Zach and I watched The Spirit of the Marathon and that lady was in it. I got all teary eyed again. I'm sure you've seen that documentary but if you haven't... it's really good and you should. Good Job!!!

Rob / Mo said...

Great blog post Stacey. Makes me want to reconsider my current goal to become a decent surfer by next year or so. Tennis was last year. I trained and trained for marathon in Tucson, had my 20 mile Saturday runs in even. Then we moved before I could do Pioneer Day Marathon in Utah, arg. They have a great triathlon out here that fills up on the first day. Been meaning to do it, but going for more anaerobic sports lately. Still running on a lonely street on a great day makes me cry sometimes, in a good way only runners understand. Don't you wish everyone could just feel that for a moment. They would all be doing it if so. All the best to you, hubby and fam.

Sidney said...

Way to go Girl, what a fabulous account of the journey. What's next Mt. Everest?