Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Activities

Memorial Day Morning our ward had a Scripture Scavenger Hunt at Round Lake. I hid the clues....some I guess were harder than others :> I love taking my kids on this hike, we do it all the time when the weather turns nice and eat some trail mix at the bridge. Families played at the park at the end and had donuts. Todd and the kids looked for the clues and I played "Phil" from the Amazing Race to check teams in at the Bridge.

The missionaries were the first across!


Afterwards we went to Derek's gravesite with the Lakes and decorated it with flowers. He's been gone 6 years and would have been 33 I believe. His grave overlooks a beautiful view of Portland and it was the perfect morning to sit and visit, sharing memories about him.
We put the boat in the Willamette since we were right downtown anyway. I loved boating past the festivities going on along the waterfront. Such a beautiful city from the view in the water.
Fighter jets flew overhead which the kids loved watching!
Todd took us up towards the St. John's Bridge where there was less traffic and smoother water for the kids to tube and have a picnic on the boat....which of course is a must for the kinder. They love the built in cooler hiding under of the cushions filled with juice and snacks.

The Rose Festival Fun Center was in full swing
Since we weren't actually getting IN the water, the weather was perfect.

The kids loved going under all the bridges and I was helping them to memorize all the names,
Sellwood, Hawthorn, Burnside, Steel, Broadway, Markham, 405, St. Johns and one railroad bridge.









8 comments:

Thompson Tales said...

Hey Stacey...did you guys get a boat??? I will be there next wednesday, I can't wait!!! jodee and I are leaving on thursday, and we will be back on sunday, so i would love to see you when i am there!!!!

Annie said...

Wow. You had much more fun than we did. I'm glad you ended your calling on a good note. It looked fun, as did the boating.

Jamie Jo said...

How fun! I'm so jealous!

Tess said...

Thanks so much! We all appreciate all you do and everyone had a great time!

Lindsey said...

I'm so glad you guys bought a boat, I just think that Portland is the ULTIMATE place to have family rec. time. Your Memorial day sounds like a fun one. I sure do love getting your random texts, helps me stay connected.

tutus n bowties said...

Boating is my most favorite thing about summer! Your kids will have such fun memories from it!

Kylee said...

Wow, that sounds like a blast of a memorial day!

Vonnie said...

Looks like you had a great weekend. Enjoy the boat and all the family fun it will bring.