Saturday, June 20, 2009

15 Years ago....

To celebrate our 15 year anniversary I thought it would be fun to climb Mt. St. Helen's since it had been about 10 years since we'd done it. This time we brought along two strapping young men. Caleb and Griffin.
They were good for laughs and great young hikers. We were saying movie lines and having a grand old time.....once we got out of breath, the laughs quieted down a little!

It was a beautiful day, and once we broke through the tree line it was pretty foggy.....up we climbed through the cloud cover to the most magnificent views these boys had ever seen. We switched off between climbing the boulders and the snow fields.


Catching up to several other groups we took a only short stops for water and pictures so we wouldn't be bunched up on the final climb.



While in the boulders a loose lava rock collided with my shin and landed on my foot. I took one for the team.
The final stretch of hard-to-climb-in loose rock or ash before the summit.
View looking Northward inside the crater, some smoke and low clouds rising out.



Griffin carried up Taco Bell Bean Burrito's which tasted so good at the top.
Going down was much more fun. Just begining to walk through the cloud cover and sliding down the snow.

We could literally ski down on just our boots! It was so much fun. At one point I just sat down on my bottom and sled down these tracks. The boys followed right behind.

On the final two mile hike through the trees we laughed about the last STEEP perilous hill we had to slide down. I was scared the boys and I wouldn't be able to stop and slide right into a big pile of lava boulders. We used our fingers to claw into the snow as well as the heels of our boots to slow us down. Griffin came sliding fast towards me and took me down with him a about 10 yards before I could stop us both. Todd and Caleb came the same way. Luckily I was able to reach out my hand and save them both (that's an inside joke, although it's pretty much what it "looked" like had happened!) Just ask Caleb, he'll tell you I was very courageous :>
More than a dozen times the boys expressed their gratitude for this experience....and for the fact that we let them miss the last day of school. I'm loving that Griffin is at the age to do this with Todd and I.
Thanks to my cousin Taylor for coming to visit us, we were able to leave the girls and Brody in her capable hands and have a fun filled day on the Mountain!












9 comments:

Nicole Jackson said...

I forgot that it was your anniversary! Most people like to celebrate by going out to dinner, on a vacation, or flowers!! But not you!:) Leave it to Stacey to think up some grand adventure! It does look like fun, I need to do that before we move from the NW!!?!

Annie said...

I'm so jealous. I love that Griffin got to do it with you. What a way to remember your 15th!

Jamie Jo said...

1. I'm so jealous. I always wanted to do that. In college geology was my favorite subject and I wanted to study volcanoes.
2. How far of a hike is it and how long did it take you?
3. Wouldn't that burritos have been really cold and smushed?
4. Last day of school? It's the middle of June!

SaraPete said...

What an awesome way to celebrate your anniversary! I would love to do that climb again w/ out blood blisters and now that I am in descent shape. Cody would love it too! Maybe we will plan a trip??

Lindsey said...

What a fun fun day!! Nothing beats the northwest, nothing!! Bummer about your leg, that looks so ouchy! That is neat to have your oldest transition into the adult world with you. And what's with Todd getting hunkier with age? That's not normal. Can't wait to see you guys!!

The Great Lakes of NY said...

You guys are so adventurous! What a cool way to spend your anniversary. I can't believe how handsome and grown up Griffin is!

Thompson Tales said...

Happy Anniversary Todd and Stacey!!

Ashley May said...

I thought of you on my anniversary (because it's yours too) That's pretty cool we share the same one! Looks like a fun adventure. My Mom has been talking about doing that, she was telling me about it and it sounded scary.. but also very fun! That is awesome that Griff was able to go!

Lee said...

Good times! I loved that hike we did with you guys 10 years ago. I would love to do it again. It looks like you had so much fun