Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lakes summer escapes

The day after we got home from Utah both the girls had Girl Scout Day Camp. Today was "hippie" day. Mon-Fri 8:30-4:00. We ALL loved that week!
This last week Portland saw temps to rival that of desert cities! At least growing up in Arizona we had a pool! I took the kids to Cannon Beach for the day while Todd was working a 48 hour shift. We never go for the day....usually only to stay overnight. But in this oppresive heat, it was a nice change! Now I ask you.....why can't MY flowers ever look like this? These are GORGEOUS and they're hung all over the town.


This was the closest we got to WHALE WATCHING.


What would a walk through town be without a bite at Pizza a Feta?



The coastal breeze felt like a breath of fresh air





Brody mangaged to get sand in his hair, ear, mouth, eye, nose.....must I go on?




We had fun chasing the birds after feeding them an entire loaf of bread!





Kennedy frolicked in the ocean waves while collecting water for her sandcastle.


I had a craving for Cafe Rio Salads, and threw in a game of fear factor food and kickball to round out a fun evening with a few other families.



Camdyn attended Activity Day Camp




We hosted Camdyn's Soccer Team BBQ in our backyard. The girls all had fun playing games, eating lots of appetizers and jumping on the trampoline.




The kids and I (sans Brody) went to the Washougal river with some friends to keep cool on one of the 104 degree days.

Luckily I threw in life jackets because this watering hole was pretty big and deep in parts. It was fun to be able to swim out and do the rope swing with all the kids and not have to worry about Mr. Boy!




The hottest day of the week, 106....we ventured to Yale resevoir up near Mt. St. Helens. So beautiful. Clear, smooth clean water and only 4 other boats out on the water when we got there.

Kenna got up on the knee board,


As did Camdyn......


While Griff and I both got over the wake. Hooray!

8 comments:

cjdustin said...

So many fun outings! You are doing a lot better job at recording them than I am. Too busy playing!

Dannielle said...

I heard it was hot up there - I thought about you and wondering how you are doing. Glad you are having a fun summer. Our summer break is over next week - the girls go back to school on Monday. I am sad about it - summer went way to fast.

Thompson Tales said...

I have been hearing about your heat wave, I about died when JoDee said that she hated it!!! Like Danielle, my kids go back to school in 2 weeks, this summer has been so great, I don't want them to go back to school. I love having them home....

Lee said...

I'm glad you're finding ways to keep cool. How happy are you that you have a boat? Loved the picts of the kiddies

Joyce Anne said...

So...the Stacey and Sara twins debate. I am finally seeing it in the second picture. The one with you and Kennedy. I would have labeled it Kennedy and Aunt Sara.

It was good to see you in Liberty. The kids are so cute, and I will add handsome for the boys.

Annie said...

I hoped your post would never end. What a great summer. Those pots in Cannon blow my mind Jerry. Seeing you all at the beach makes me verclempt. Will you go on more day trips now? Your friends are sure cute!

Jamie Jo said...

106??!!! What in the world? Maybe Al Gore was right? Just kidding. That's weird that your summer is so hot, and that we missed the entire month of June due to rain. Those sound like fun adventures. I miss Cannon Beach. I hope we can get up there to visit you again sometime. Spencer loved looking at the pictures and especially the ones of the "Little One" as he referred to Kennedy.

Lindsey said...

What a fun summer! I have been sooo horrible at taking pictures this summer. I love the flowers at Cannon Beach, I bet it's the salt air that does something for them, weird. I am SICK that I can't go to Cannon Beach this year. Funny how it was 100 in Portland yet you guys were in hoodies at the coast...gotta love the northwest. Fun to go to the river with your friends. I LOVED it when you took us there three years ago and I have been wanting to go back ever since. Anyway, keep up the good posts. Blogging can get so old but I love reading your blog since it is all news to me.