Sunday, October 25, 2009

Our New Home for the Holidays

This lovely Northwest jewel belongs to some wonderful and talented friends of ours, the Elmers. I sent a friend of mine out to see it after they moved in and she later said to me in a serious tone "Stacey, I have never seen anything on Earth like this".


A few interior shots give a visual of the charm and warmth that the Elmers know how to create. Pictures do not do it justice!


So one can only imagine what this, their previous home for 33 years, looked like before they moved out 3 years ago.............This is where their story ends and ours unfolds.................



Thirteen years ago I stepped through the doors of this historical craftsman home. I was in complete awe. I do believe I had a hard time keeping my jaw from dropping! The Elmer's home inside and out was filled to the brim with charm. Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE anything historic, old, or vintage.... especially when it has a story to tell. 33 years ago the Elmers bought this 1910 Craftsman when it was in a complete state of disrepair and made it into the historical home it is today, building on additions as their family continued to grow. I told them from time to time that when they were ready to sell I wanted to at least be able to make an offer, they would then have to reject it, and we could move on.



It's interesting how fate took a hand in this turn of events. I daresay I can recall how it all began to progress.....but I will say this: There is no one more in love with this old home than myself, Todd and our little kiddos. For 13 years, whether it was coming out to swim, visiting teaching, giving tours of the home to family and friends or just riding past on my bike....I have always been completely smitten with it's charm. Elmers have expressed their joy in knowing all the time, love, labor and memories they once had put into this home will be returning with the care we'll be rendering inside and out.



Nestled against the hillside of Green Mountain and situated on 6 acres, the view boasts picturesque settings from all angles.


Todd and I love projects. With over 5000 sq feet, we will have many years ahead to complete them. This is Brody's room. He loves to come to "Ehr-muwh hows" and see his room.



The girls room has this additional nook area to use as a play room or vanity, or even an extra space for a bed.


The other section of the house, which I always called "the apartment" has a wonderful bonus room so the kids can have all the friends over they want. Now we can finally buy a ping pong table! Really, I think those are fun. I just want to be like the Jensens :>



I could cry for joy when I look at this laundry room! I've had about a 3 foot breezeway into the garage with room for the washer/dryer and that's it!




The girls like this carpet in one of the guest rooms in the apartment, but we're hoping to just do it all the same....for continuity.



15 years ago they remodeled the kitchen and added on the great room. I LOVE this kitchen!


Driving out with the kids on a beautiful Fall day and seeing this view from the front porch feels so Northwest to me.




Brody's favorite past-time all last summer was wanting to go "shwimmy". Now he'll have his wish. I'd better brush up on my lifegaurding skills.


My mom said to me when we were in the process of finalizing details with Elmers and getting ready to list our home that "it will all work out if it was meant to be". Todd and I truly feel there was a guiding hand in this whole process; with how everything fell into place. Many times we'd look at a home and come away with doubtful feelings, knowing we'd have to sacrifice too much for the kids sake. This home keeps our children in their same schools and puts us back in the first ward we were in when we moved to Vancouver, before it was split.


I like keeping things pertaining to our family matters close until all details are finalized and these little buddy kids were the best secret keepers ever! I promised them a Dairy Queen Blizzard if they'd stick to the script I had layed out for them and they passed with flying colors! Mmmm I love a good DQ treat!


11 comments:

Thompson Tales said...

That is awesome!!! I know how much you have always loved that house...you guys will be so happy there, it is gorgeous and has such a beautiful view...i remember when you took me there for a tour!! I can't wait to come for a visit and see what you do to the home, it will be wonderful!!! congrats!!! ps...i did try to call you back but the phone was making that weird noise when i called...

Nicole Jackson said...

Oh my! you have loved that house forever! I can't believe that you kept such a good secret but now I'm mad at you! You're the only one that can move into that house and make it as fabulous as cindy did! Congrats! And I'm looking forward to swimming next summer!:)

Ashley May said...

Who would have known that the house I went to 12 years ago for the beehive swimming parties would be YOURS! I couldn't be happier for you and I am already so so excited to see what you will do with the place. Of course it is already beautiful but it can only get better with your magic touch! Congrats!!!!!!!

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh Stacey! I am so jeanlous! I LOVE older homes and that one just looks PERFECT! Next time I come home I'll have to come see it...? Congratulations!!!

Annie said...

How come I am never in the loop and have to find out about your relocating on your blog.....hehaw! Can't wait for my next visit. It will last one month. Warn Todd now:)

Nathan and Melissa said...

That is so exciting! When do you move in? The house is beautiful and totally you!

tutus n bowties said...

Oh my gosh. Seriously LOVE your new beautiful home! How exciting for you and your family.

Teresa said...

I love the story.....this is a beautiful place you will soon call "home"!
I am so happy for you and your family:)

Camp Directors said...

How exciting for you Todd and Stacey! Tyler told me about this great house. I would love to see it some day!!! Love to all of you!!! Aunt Calleen

jenni said...

Best kept secret!!! Congrats- it's a BEAUTIFUL and such a family friendly home!!! I am so happy for you Lakes! I loved reading the story. The Lord really cares about us, no doubt--- even our seemingly far out dreams. I love that you are so quick to recognize His hand.

Jamie Jo said...

Stacey, I am so happy for you. I have to admit to feeling a big stab of envy when I saw your old home. Back in the day I was married to Dufus, and had only apartments to look forward to. But this time around I'm just so happy that you are so happy and having such a wonderful dream come true. It couldn't happen to a nicer Stu.