Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cookie Monster Intervention

I have a little secrect problem and have decided I'm coming out of the closet with it. I have a sugar addiction.  Yes, don't we all?  But mine is severe!  I can't remember the last time I went a day without refined sugar and late at night.  Well, once, 2 weeks ago when I made myself go play volleyball. It felt good to go to bed without a sugar hangover.  I'll say to Todd "Do you think I can go a week without sugar?" and he'll answer "Geez honey, try going ONE day."  He's the best :>
A friend of mine who also shares a love for the homebaked cookie did this once,  she announced to her blogging friends that she was going off all whites (flour, rice, sugar).  In my mind I'm thinking if I put this out there, then I'll have accountablility.  (When I really know that won't make a difference and it's all up to me).  I have NO problem eating healthy. I alone may keep the spinach farmers in business.  I also keep HERSHEY stocks up as well. 
For the next week before we leave on our Spring Break vacation I'm challenging myself to no sugars (minus what's in fruit and maybe light yogurt as a splurge).  I've got cookies in the oven as we speak so I can go out with a bang! 
Leaving some in the freezer for Todd will be the real test!!!

13 comments:

Kylee said...

Wow, good luck! I know you can do it. :)

Sister Kaylie Victoria Crofts said...

I have really been trying to cut out refined sugars, too. My weakness is chocolate, though! Where are you going for spring break? Missed you at volleyball last night!

tutus n bowties said...

You can do it!! So here is my little story...One of my good friends that I use to live with was just as addictive to sugar as I was so we would always set these types of goals with each other. We tried anything from one week without, to sugar only on weekends. Anywho, after taking the step of setting goals not to eat sugar, years later I can now go months at a time without the stuff. Kinda crazy. If I can do it then I know you can. Good luck!

Jamie Jo said...

LOL. Good luck. You should check out Jessica Simpson's new show on VHI. It's called The Price of Beauty. She goes around to different countries to see what they consider to be beautiful. Episode 1 was in Thailand. Her point was that here in America we think beauty is only the rail thin look we see on the magazines, but that there is more than one kind of beauty, and we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. In Uganda they put women in a fattening hut to put on 90 pounds before marriage. To them big is better, and calling your wife a Fat Cow is a compliment! So eat those cookies!!

Stacey said...

My sugar problem has more to do with how I feel than how I look. Sugar has a sluggish affect on me that makes my body drag big time. Rail thin is not in our genes! I'm just trying not to abuse this sweet substance :>

jenni said...

Way to go Stacey! I'm with you on the tiredness that sugar causes... I try to do regular check-ins as well, choosing a random week of few days to go without it... I planned one at the wrong time once- I had a long run on one of the no-sugar days, and my body was not too happy as it really needed the little boost. This and other bad experiences have made me only obsess about it (or detox)on occasion and enjoy my love for chocolate at other times :)

jrushing said...

Power to ya girl! It takes a good 2 days for the withdrawls to stop and then all of a sudden...you don't really want to eat that cookie! It is a great feeling! Or for me I should say it was a great feeling because I am back on the sugar train! Choo choo!!!

Nicole Jackson said...

You are way stronger than I would be on the no sugar! I don't have a problem with cookies, my thing is chocolate and with Easter right around the corner I'm scared! Luckily we will not really have Easter this year since we'll be coming home that day from Disney. Good Luck!

The Morgans said...

You can do this Good Job!

Ashley May said...

Skipping sugar during cadbury egg season? That's hard to do. If you still feel in the mood to MAKE cookies you can send them my way. haha :)

-Ashley may

Stacey said...

Ashley, I already had two bags of those eggs, sharing only a few out of each with Todd and the kids!

Kendall said...

Hey just wondering how it's going? Are you cookie/sugar free?

The Morgans said...

So how did it go?