Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ladybugs and Lice













The last several months we have been finding collections of Ladybugs in the windowsills.  They come into the house in the cold weather to take refuge, then can't find their way out of the walls and die!  So sad. Although now having hundreds of carcasses in the house is getting sorta gross.  The other night I'm kneeling over the leather ottoman talking to Todd and I hear a "plop".  I look down and one had fallen out of the skylight in the Great Room!  Now they're not only in the window sills but falling out of the ceiling as well.  Too funny!
Brody turned 3 on March 4th.  With what had just taken place we waited awhile before telling him and celebrating his birthday.  Poor kid.  He got one present from Annie and Papa (the kitty piano below that the girls like as much or more than him) and a present from Nicole and Maddie Jackson and that was it!  We took him to Spaggy Factory and I bought him a box of fruit snacks. He was happy as can be!



Sweet Little Kennedy got sent home from school 12 days ago with Lice!  Now, anyone can sympathize but unless you've dealt with it then you'll never know.  My head itches, hold on.....
More loads of laundry in the course of a day than I've done in my life and continuing all week. More vacuuming everthing in sight, black bagging bedding, hair bows, toys, anything I didn't want to wash. More hair treatments on the whole family and worst of all was taking 45 min each night to pick through Kennas hair for nits and Camdyns just to make sure. 
Kennedy said one good thing about getting lice is the time she gets to spend with mom in the laundry room as I pick through her hair.  She plays the kitty piano and gets to have treats!
My girlfriend Kendall who watches Brody while I work sent over this "Lice Survival Kit"  Oh my goodness, she had it loaded to the brim with popcicles, hairnets, tea tree extract oil, hot mask, cadbury chocolate eggs and a DVD for Brody!  Talk about sympathizing....I know this lice thing took it's toll on her too since she had watched Brody the week Kenna got it.

21 comments:

Kylee said...

I can't believe Brody is 4! Too crazy. Poor Kennedy, but what an awesome friend you have!

Sister Kaylie Victoria Crofts said...

Ugh, lice is my worst nightmare! My head is ichy just reading this! So sorry you had to go through that!

Dannielle said...

I am so sorry there is nothing more gross than picking bugs out of your kids hair...my girls have had it twice...and now I never scratch my head or lay my head down next to my girls without thinking about it. One tip is if one brand isnt working try another brand. I remember the first time we had lice i put the shampoo on my head for 45 minutes hoping to kill whatever may be on my head and burned my scalp so bad which only made me itch more. If I was there I would check your head whenever you wanted because I never thought Robb was thorough enough and i always wish I had someone who would check my hair :) Good luck and hang in there.

Stacey said...

The reason Kylee can't beleive Brody is 4 is because I did a typo and he actually turned 3! Whew...that'll make Kylee (and me) feel better :>

The Morgans said...

My head still itches from 4 years ago. I hope it is all over for you. That is one of the worst things I have ever been through. The worst part is when I went to Utah 16 days after it was over and my "Best" Friend would not let my girls visit with their best friends just in case we still had it. After already going through that horrible cleaning process YUCK! I was less than amuzed with her. Lady bugs however thats cool that they are so attracted to your little dream cottage.

Lee said...

Sounds like you're keeping busy as usual. I've never had to deal w/ lice. What a hassle. When do you know if it's gone? Happy BD to Brody! What a cutie

Ashley May said...

I was feeling itchy ready this post!! I am so sorry, I can't imagine. That sounds like soooooo much work!!! Are boys less likely to get lice because they have less hair? I hope so!
-Ashley May

jrushing said...

Yuck! Never good news when lice are involved! I am crossing my fingers that we don't get the dreaded...but I am sure that someday it will be my turn. I sorta feel like I might have them right now!

Nicole Jackson said...

Oh the dreaded lice! I hope it's finally all over for you. It's a good thing that no one else got it! Keeping our fingers crossed for you! How cute of Kendall with the gifts!

Kendall said...

I am horrible. I knew Brods b-day was in March and I've been meaning to ask you. But, instead I've been freaking out and making you find new babysitters cause I'm an crazy germ lady. Don't know how supportive that is!

Tess said...

One of my kids tried on hats at Target once. That week my back was out so we all laid around and read a 300 page book together. We ALL had it! I feel your pain!

Glad Brody had a great birthday! We miss him in nursery!

Steph said...

I have been looking closely at my kids hair. So afraid they will get it since it's going around the school. AAAAHHHHH! So not fun. My sisters and brother got it twice growing up and I remember what a pain in the butt it was to get rid of it.

Joyce Anne said...

Stacey, I appreciate the fact that you are willing to share. Everyone thinks that lice only happens to people that are dirty. You have certainly proven that wrong. It is really hard on kids because of the stigma. It is really no different than kids picking up a cold or other "bugs" from each other.

My Kell teaches Special Ed Kindergarten. One family continues to bring lice to school. The parents are special needs also and just don't put in the work to rid the house of the pests. She said the other day one of the little boys came to school with his head shaved. She didn't even have to ask.....He simply said "Buuugggs!" My biggest fear was always the baseball helmets that the little league pass around.

The joys of being the MOM.

The Great Lakes of NY said...

What a sweet friend to send you that kit! I'm so glad you're through with it!!! I still find myself checking the boys whenever their heads are near me! We miss you guys! Happy Birthday, Brody!!!

Thompson Tales said...

Lice is the worse, when Britnee got it, I spent about $200 bringing EVERYTHING to the cleaners, and I threw away all of her stuffed animals!! Happy Birthday to Brody!

cjdustin said...

Ladybugs used to come into our house out in the woods too. They have a funny smell...sorry about the lice--pause to scratch head--complete pain!

Lindsey said...

That makes me sad about those ladybugs. Maybe they could eat the lice, and you could just let them live in Kenna's hair. That is soooo nice about that gift bag your friend sent over. Lice is the pits!! I feel bad I didn't call Brody on his birfday, but I like that you keep it simple and still special. Kid, it's no good starting the fireworks at age 4, because then where do you go from there?!

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jamie Jo said...

Josh and Rach got that in Portland and it is TERRIBLE!!! I heard of it all the time when I lived there, but I haven't heard of one case in the 9 years I've lived here. I wonder if it's a climate thing?

Mr. Broders! I can't wait for him and Milly to play this summer. I so wish you lived closer. Though now that you are in your dream house I don't think that will ever happen.

teamZ said...

I wish our school's lice epidemic would just go away. I am like Kendall, totally freaked out. I have everything bagged up and using tea tree shampoo to prevent it. Plus, just praying it will pass us all by. Hopefully, it is gone this time.

Oh, and HB to Brody!

Jord said...

Freaky about the lice. Sorry for you and your poor girl.