Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

When my family moved us up to the NW from the sunny desert of Arizona, 18 years ago....I never knew such beauty existed! Now I know I am a true Northwesterner. I love the rain, think anything over 72 degrees is too hot, and enjoy the year round outdoor recreation and scenery surrounding it all.
My parents bought the most quaint cottage here in Cannon Beach when I was 18 years old. So many memories exist there that I get verclempt when I bike past there each year that I do my solo coastal ride. It took only 70 min. from our home in Beaverton to drive down. Todd and I would head down almost every other weekend. When my family all moved to Utah, they also sold the cottage. Looking back, we should have bought it!
Now with our own family we still carry on the Cannon Beach tradition, going down a few times a year to stay overnight....only now we must pay for our lodgings:> Schooner's Cove is our all time favorite. The location is unbeatable, the view magnificent, the rooms clean and large and the private hot tub is a big selling point. We've been coming here for years and love the ambiance and memories we've created at this location.




The first night we stayed, after our walks, and hot tub we took a stroll through town, enjoying the nice evening breeze and peacefulness of the quiet steets as we peeked in storefront windows. To our surprise we saw that Bruce's Candy Kitchen had added on and renovated the inside after all these years! It was so adorable. We couldn't wait to get in the next day. Who will ever forget Sara's room on Francesca. I wonder if that paper is still up?



We celebrated Todd's Birthday there as well. Griffin and I went down to the office and made this sign at the last minute, I bought him the yummiest cinnamon roll from Bella Espresso (the other rest. owned by the Pizza Nazi). Todd cooked up Salmon outside on the Cove's BBQ. Delicious!!!
We grabbed some bread and went down to feed the gulls. We have found several items washed up on the beach in years past, but never have we come across 6 beautiful long stem red roses. I figured some woman threw them in the sand as an act of anger against her lover....either that or it was a memorial for someone lost at sea. We decided to take them to Derek's grave site on the way home. The next day we met the lady who'd gathered up the other 1/2 dozen so I didn't feel too bad.


The private hot tub is the best Jerry....2nd to that is the enjoyment I get from watching the older's enjoy the exploration of their little baby brother. They are so smitten with every move he makes. He is such a blessing to our family.

Our 2nd day, we woke up to a healthy breakfast, packed by me...and a stop at Cannon Beach Bakery for fresh, delicious donuts. We took a loaf of bread to feed the birds and headed to Haystack Rock. Lucky for us there happened to be some hands on conservationists with telescopes and displays of sea life creatures. It was very educational. We stayed until someone had to pee :> and then it was time to head back for pizza a feta and shopping. Todd gave each child money to spend on Candy at Bruce's and shells at Duber's.



Stopping in Portland on the way home we placed roses at Derek Lake's gravesite. 5 years have now gone by. I believe no one can image the pain of having lost a brother, husband or son, unless the loss has happened to you. Having a knowledge of the eternal perspective helps us to teach our own children about this earth life test and that we will all be reunited again someday.

8 comments:

Ashley May said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I love Cannon Beach and all of the cute shops. That hot tub looks like fun.. I can't wait to be able to go in one again!!

Annie said...

Kid, you are pushing me over the edge...the package I got today with the candy from Bruce's was the last nail in my coffin. I MISS CANON BEACH!!!!!! Thanks for sending the candy and cards. Your trip looked like perfection. Tell Griffin I have some bows that might look cute in his/her hair.LOL

Dannielle said...

What a fun trip to the beach...we need to go again. Thanks for the popcorn too that was yummy!

Lindsey said...

That post totally tugged at my heart strings. Your memories you create with your kids are truly what my dreams are made of. Emma is already talking about going to the beach and catching crabs. I'm so thankful that my kids can have that same experience, even if it will only be once a year. I can't wait to go to Bruce's Candy kitchen and check it out. Also, thanks for the post card, you are just "so with it" as I always say to Ryan. Those flowers a beautiful gesture for Derek's grave.

Sidney said...

Is this the same place Richters talk so fondly about? I am so glad there are still wonderful candy stores operating in the world. I think in kids minds they are as wonderful as a trip to Disney land. You remembered correctly, our house has a big wrap around balcony porch. I empathize big time with your pregnancies. I got to go in for IV treatment for all 6 of mine. I use to tell my kids I loved them more because I suffered more than any Mother on earth so they had to behave the rest of their lives. And you know it mostly worked!

Vonnie said...

What great pictures of a fun family weekend activity. It was wonderful to visit Cannon Beach a number of times through the years. Your family is so darling and it's easy to see that you and Todd are doing a great job as parents! Keep up the good work.

Jamie Jo said...

Are you doing this to torture us? I miss Cannon Beach SOOO bad! Though I still don't get what the big deal about Pizza A Feta is. If gas wasn't so awful we would have to come and see you. I wish our coming to see you each July and then you still come see us each August.

Lee said...

What a fun weekend- i've only been to cannon beach maybe 3-4 times, but it's one of my favorite places i've ever visited. it's so gorgeous and quaint. how great it's only a little over an hour from your house!