Thursday, July 17, 2008

Icecream and idiosyncrasies

It's been forever since T and I had a date night. I love spending time just with him. He's game for anything I plan and I usually make it a surprise until the last minute when I need his help loading up all the bikes. I had the best one all planned out. It included a show at the OMNIMAX theatre, then biking downtown across the bridge to get an icecream on the waterfront. My OMSI half price days don't include summer months AND I'm a gas conservationist. Sooo, we thought up something a little closer to home. 2 weeks ago T and I bought new bikes for riding around with the kids. I LOVE them. Mine was a mere 10% the cost of my Ellsworth road bike. Yikes! But Ellie (we name our bikes in my family) rides like butter and I love it! I let Brody come along with us. He loves to ride on the back of my bike. We rode up to rent a movie, then enjoyed the nice evening breeze as we biked up to Sonic.......
We ate yummytimes ice cream.....We came up with a few things that "bug" us. I asked T to guess what mine were. He said "when people don't get your dessert order right". That wasn't exactly what I was after....but that does bug me. I came up with a list. His was just "people" :> One time I remember him coming home from work and saying "Ya know what, I think I'm thoroughly bugged by people". Dealing with the public in that setting day in and day out will do that to a man.
Put kiddies to bed and watched Vantage Point. Jack was in it. I won't say more than that as to not give anything away. It was a pretty good flick. One bad word, and lots of shooting. Not for the kids :>

Don't we all have those little things that bother us? I came up with a few.

1. Kids germy bottoms from the bathrooms at school, or worse the outhouse at camp! You know they don't use seat protectors!
2. Kids who don't wash hands before dinner or after playing at a public park or even being at school.
3. Dirty feet in clean sheets.
4. Stains I miss before clothing gets into the dryer.
5. Dirty fridges.
6. Narcisistic people. Definition, Narcisism: undue dwelling on one's own self or attainments.
7. Kids slamming doors or shouting when Brody is sleeping, or even when he isn't.
8. Fuzzy teeth.
9. Kids at a potluck/BBQ who dish up mounds of food when there's not enough for everyone present anyway, and parents who aren't observant to this.
10. A plate of overbaked/hard home made cookies. (I'm a cookie snob).
11. The phrase "I'm hungry" or "I don't want that for dinner".

Now I do realize none of these things are of any importance in the grand scheme of life. And it's all these little things that make me appreciate the flip side to every one of them.....like a delicious plate of homemade cookies or clean little bodies in fresh sheets.
Doesn't anyone share atleast ONE of these with me?

7 comments:

Carol said...

Amen to your list. I especially hate the words "I'm hungry" and also "I'm bored". I must say, sadly, that my own fridge is most always in need of a good cleaning.

Lindsey said...

I'm with you on most of your list. i think I am more on Todd's page with being just generally bugged, it's no good. I am bugged when people don't use their turn signals, and when baby's dresses don't come with diaper covers under them and the diaper gets all saggy and soggy as they're just cruisin' around.

Stacey said...

I like Carol's comment on the "I'm bored, or what can we do". Linny, I know you have a long and large list. Let's just say "chewing and chomping" are probably your #1. Or anything in the germ category.

Jamie Jo said...

I HATE crunchy cookies. But I do use a porta john every morning on the paper route with no seat protector. I'm not near the germ phobe the rest of you are!

Annie said...

One of MY bugs is relatives that use other relatives as a hotel. Wait to be invited people!

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

I totally share in the being bugged with dirty feet in clean sheets... I have to BEG my kids to shower, I wish they liked to be clean too... esp with fresh sheets. Ahh... there isn't anything better. Great date night idea. Wish it weren't so DANG HOT here in AZ. Maybe in the winter we could do something like that.

cjdustin said...

I think I may share in some of your list but I would never admit it! ;) sounds like you are having a great summer!