Saturday, July 19, 2008

Summer Activities



Summer has been much more fun-filled than I thought. I enjoy having the kids home and take opportunities to spend time with each child one on one. Biking, running, going to the park, library or the movies. Here's a few things we've been doing this summer.

First off, Mr. Boy.......I cannot imagine what our family would be like had we not decided to have another baby. Little Brody is so doted on by his siblings, and I just think everything he does is completely adorable....even down to his little baby tantrums! I just laugh when he's dumping out drawers and pouring water all over himself. I know we'll never have these experiences again :<> This week we took the kids to Oaks Amusement Park in Portland. Brody rode some kiddie rides with the girls. Some of them he loved.......like the cars.
Some of them he didn't love.....like the rollercoaster. I can't believe the attendant let him on. In fact she's the one that said he should ride with his sisters.

Brody was born the week after Griffin had soccer tryouts in 2007. I n many ways the "team baby". The parents go nuts over him, even some of the grandparents. At the games and tournaments, even indoor soccer, there is always ample amounts of people helping me chase him off of the field or feed him crackers and fruit. Which brings me to what Griffin has been up to this summer. Babysitting for me and soccer for Northstar United '96. We love this team. The boys have played competitive soccer now for 2 years and really gel as a team.
Last week the team had a fund raising event. Running laps. Griffin set a goal for 23 laps, 5 and 3/4 mile. I ran alongside him for support and to pace him. He was the only boy that never stopped to walk (only to grap a sip every mile) and ran until we were called off the track by coach. 33 laps. That's 8 and 1/4 mile and he never even broke a sweat! Plus he and I rode 12 miles that morning with Brody on the back of my bike. I see cross country in his future.
Last night we hosted a Northstar '96 past feed for the tournment we have this weekend in Beaverton. It was so much fun. I wowed everyone with yummy bread (candle party bread) and had lots of Pasta left over!
I was worried what the boys would do to keep themselves occupied, but between jumping, eating, and kicking the soccer ball around they were more than entertained. At the end of the evening we commented on how much we love the boys, parents and coaches of this team. I'm so happy Griffin is in an enviroment where he feels a part of something to great and encouraging. He loves soccer!
After I headed up our Stake's annual Pioneer Day 5k/10k run down on the Heritage Trail, the kids and I high tailed it out to Beaverton and surprised Griffin at his 2nd tournament game. Then I had a surprise when Luitenant Lake and his crew who were covering "near the area" pulled up in their rig and watched the game for 20 minutes.
Camdyn has really become my little responsible helper over the last few weeks. She does things now without rolling her eyes or pitching much attitude. Occasionally I'll get the "huffy breath" over folding laundry or picking up her room. She attended our Stake's Activity Day Camp at Camp Currie for 3 days and loved it.

After 3 days of careful nursing and bottle feeding (yes, I mixed up this birdie formula!) and making beds and little swings out of littlest pet shop toys, the baby bird passed away. It was actually really sad. I woke early to go for a run, and there he be....still as a stone lying in the little bed Camdyn had fashioned out of barbie pillows and blankets. She and Todd buried him in our backyard. I was weeding the other day and found his headstone which reads "Brody Lake Shinpaugh". (That would be out next door neighbor girls last name). Look at this little house she made for him. Sad!!! This was after he died. She just sat and stared at him. This is why I don't want pets!
Just this last week Camdyn and Kennedy went to Girl Scout Camp at the same Camp Currie from 8:30 to 3:00. We loved having them out of the house.....oh, I mean THEY loved getting out of the house. The theme was Once Upon a Time. Tickets were earned to buy things at the "camp store" and by the end of the week we've now got odd and end trinkets lying all over the place. It's great! When they aren't at camp, they're in suits/sprinklers, playing with friends, Brody or riding scooters.
We buddied up with the Jackson girls who we've known since birth. Nicole and I car-pooled and the girls clung to eachother getting out of my van that first day of camp.
Camdyn got Kennedy to brave the coaster with no hands! I think they rode this about 15-20 times that night.




6 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

What a fun summer your kids are having! What a sweet life you have. From my porch looking in, it seems very easy. Perhaps you have struggles I don't know about, but it looks like you're pretty spoiled. :) That is awesome about Griff! I'll have to tell Rachie, she wants to run cross country this year. Sad about the bird. We were all sad about Yanal and it still makes me sad to see his grave.

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

Looks like you have had a FUN, BUSY summer. Your kids are so cute. What a FUN MOM to run the whole way with Griffin. Hopefully he made lots of money by surpassing his goal. So sad about your little birdy, I love seeing the sweet tender side of kids as they care for a pet they find in the yard (it is usually geckos for us) Girl Scout Camp would be so much fun, I remember doing that when I lived back in Texas. It sounds like school starting will be a nice BREAK.

I Really need to do a SUMMER post. I feel like we haven't stopped running around here.

BTW . . . I am planning a 5K race for my ward in October. Do you have any wonderful ideas or can you pass along the things you did that made things go smoothly. I love running races, don't know exactly how to plan them though, cdhowey@hotmail.com

Lindsey said...

Holy McFreaky, you've got a busy summer! What a champ Griffin is. I'm totally not surprised he's in such great shape, but even still that is quite impressive what his run was. That's so nice of Todd to come by and watch the game. It's fun to read about your family and life and to know that you are having such a great time laying such a strong foundation for the kids. It seems like just a few years ago that I was off to camp with a side pony tail in my hair too. You're the bestest mom in town!

SaraPete said...

Your family is always doing something so fun! I can't believe how big all your kids are getting...it makes me sad. I love seeing Brody in Jaken's clothes..so cute!!

Ashley May said...

I remember when you told me you were pregnant again.. I was so excited! Another Lake baby to love! I was admiring him @ church today he is just soo cute!

Ericka said...

What a fun summer. Faith has been wanting to go to Oaks Park. She used to be afraid of the rides, but now she finally enjoys them. Looks like you guys have had a lot of fun! Is the rest of the summer as busy? It's sad about the bird.

It's nice knowing someone else is afraid of drains too! I don't swim over them unless I have too. I used to be a life guard and hated doing training in the deep end! I'm usually okay with them in hot tubs, but I always keep my distance in the pools. Funny, my hands are starting to get clammy just thinking about them!