Monday, July 21, 2008

Over the River and through the woods




It is a known fact that I absolutely love the Northwest. I thank my parents for moving us out of the burning hot Valley of the Sun. My preferred temp is about 70*. Lucky for me this whole week is upper 70's. Although it wasn't in my plan that they would then all move away from here back to Utah. Where else can you ride only minutes away from your front door and behold this kind of beauty?
Last summer Brody was pretty much connected to my hip....and other parts of my body. He wouldn't take a bottle. Todd felt bad for me and I told him not to worry, I'd make up for it next summer. So yesterday when I told Todd I wanted a few hours to myself he probably guessed I wouldn't be choosing shopping, a movie or lunch.
My friend Barb met at 9 a.m. for an 80 mile rountrip ride out to Multnomah Falls located in the Columbia River Gorge across the river in Oregon. Crown Point (above) at mile 32 offers a panoramic view of the gorge before the 8 mile descent on the Historic Columbia River Hwy drops you right off at the Multnomah Falls Lodge. Isn't it gorgeous? (above top)
There are several hikes all around the Falls, and tons of other falls surround this area. We have a 5 mile loop that goes to the top of Multnomah then loops around and comes down at Wah-keen-ah falls and back to the lodge. Easy to do with older kids. The waterfalls are rushing past you on all directions and it's so breathtaking.
Barb and I were trying to come up with a funny pose. Our minds were blank and some older ladies were taking our picture. So mom's "peace" came to mind. This has to be one of my all time favorite rides to do from the house. The views are breathtaking and I love the hill climb up to crown point. The more hills the better!


9 comments:

Lee said...

Holy cow! Either you did a bunch of posts in just a few days, or it's been awhile since I've checked your blog! Good stuff there girl. OK- lots of comments:
*yes, I share many of your "bugs" but what exactly are fuzzy teeth. I'm sure they'll bug me too, cause I'm a teeth noticer
*does Griffin's soccer team play on Sunday, and if so, what do you do abt that? That is one thing I love abt UT- no sunday games- ever.
*I LOVE how smitten everyone is by Brody. It's so sweet.
*I continue to be in awe of all the fun family activities you do with your kids.

Stacey said...

Lee,
Fuzzy teeth is plaque build up. Gross! The team does play on Sunday and he just doesn't attend. It's really hard being the only kid on the team with those standards. I know first hand it WILL become an issue as he gets older. Some LDS kids just aren't picked to play for that reason only.
Brody is so freakin' cute. You'll see him soon enough. Should we go tubing or biking when we come?

Ericka said...

Wow 80 miles- I dont think I've been on a bike since my mission 15 years ago. I'm not even sure if i even remember how to ride a bike. It does bring back good memories I know i sure rode alot on my mission and I loved it. I know once I did a 5 hour bike ride once. ( not necessarily by choice-we couldn't use the car at the time)- the northwest is so beautiful because it is Gods Country.
by the way alot of members were very pleased at the way the pioneer day ran went. keep up the good work.

Natalie said...

good for you! The more hills the better!? I wish I thought like that. I am out of a bike for a few weeks cause I let the sister missionairies borrow it until they could find one... So that stinks.. But you look like you are having so much fun!

Dannielle said...

You are crazy - I would never even think that you could bike over to Multnomah falls. I bet it is a pretty ride though.

Nicole Jackson said...

You truly amaze me on what your body is able to do!!! I love those falls. I haven't been for awhile but I will be driving there. I will never bike there, I mean I could not bike there! Hopefully you will be still tired enough from yesterday that I can keep up with you today!

Rebecca said...

Those are the reasons I love the nw too. Way to go on the ride!

Annie said...

Her Dad said...It doesn't seem that long ago that I would have to convince my 16 year old to join her 42 year old Dad on a run or bike ride in the heat of Arizona. Now at age 60 she is my chief inspiration. Our Daddy/daughter date on August 9th for the Utah Half Ironman will clearly test my limits but how can I not be thrilled to tackle such an event together. Running a 15 miler with my daughter down the rainsoaked by empty city streets of Portland at 4:00am in the morning is right up there with biking over Crown Point to Multnomah Falls for a morning bowl of oatmeal. How precious!

Michelle said...

Stacey, Kyle came home from work the day you went on this ride and told me he had talked to you and told me about your ride. I had already read about it on your blog before he got home! :)
You are amazing!!!