Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday agenda

I meant to post these pics at the bottom, but haven't figured out how to rearrange once it's been uploaded. Anywho, my friend Ashley asked for some recipes to try out. I figured I'd blog them so there is a visual and others can try it out too. This is a family favorite. Todd's made it at the Firestation. Everyone who tries it loves it.....oh, and I have this new rule. If you complain about what I made for dinner, you can go to your room without supper. My kids have gotten to be very well rounded eaters :>Even Kennedy is gobbling it down! The recipes are at the bottom.
My friend Jeannie races for River City Bikes. She was at a Criterium today 2 blocks from a park I was taking the kids to. We walked over to see what it was all about. WOW!!!
These were the catergory 1 pros. It's a one kilometer, 8 corner course they ride for 60 min. Cash prizes are given out every so many laps and at the end the winner takes a prize purse. When they zoomed past about every 40-60 sec. you could feel the wind speed pick up. Brody loved it and was clapping everytime they came round the corner. There was even a biker that went down taking several with him on the last lap.
Brody is happy as a clam at any park.


I know Jamie thinks my life is easy :> Maybe in comparison to many it is. Sometimes I look around my house and all the (what's a better word for crap?) STUFF there is to do/put away/clean/fix/take care of/feed/nuture and it exhausts me.

Todd worked a 48 hour shift Th/F and was busy all day yesterday catching up on things around the house: trying to fix our washer....then going out to buy a new washing machine, install it, get groceries and go on a father/son date with Griff while I ran kids hither and yon to various activities. Then this morning Brody wouldn't go down for his morning nap. That's when I know his normal church nautiness is going to be even worse! Thanks to Griffin's voice of righteousness I got us all there on time. Luckily Camdyn and Griffin are both good at taking him out. I remember when we used to beg to be able to take Lindsey out when she was a baby. I also remember us calling out "I get the rest of her's if she can't finish it". I love it when my sissy's remind me of things from my youth that I had NO recollection of.

Anywho, it's hard when Todd's gone on Sunday. I love family outings on Sunday and have a fun one planned for this evening even though he's at work. So, to my sissy's who think I've got it easy.......buh-lieve me, I work my tail off. On the flip side, I don't have the luxury of nice home-made Sunday dinner's in Liberty and mom/dad/aunt/cousins willing to watch my kids, take them on adventures, play with cousins or take me out to lunch.

It's days such as these when I get feeling overwhelmed that I am grateful to have a wonderful husband, children, parents and sisters which bless my family life.
Cumin Salad
Chop the following and place in large bowl:
one entire stalk of celery
2 pink lady apples
1 can pineapple chunks or 2 cups fresh
3/4 cup green onions
1 can mandarin oranges
2 1/2 cups grapes sliced in half
3-4 cups cubed chicken
Mix in 3/4 cup mayo and 2 Tblsp ground cumin w/ one tsp sea salt.
Keep refridgerated until serving
Serves:10-12
yummy rice
Brown 6 oz spaghetti and 1 T oil in fry pan.
Add 2 cups sticky rice, 5 cups water, 6 cubes chicken bullion and bring to boil
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 min.
Serve hot rice with cold cumin salad.
Serves:10-12
Yummy Bread
I buy these baquettes from Fred Meyer Bakery or QFC w/ the bright orange "just bake it" sticker. Any bread will work but this kind is the best.
Mix: one cup mayo, 3/4 cup grated (in the green can) parm cheese and plenty of sliced green onions. Spread a thin layer on top of sliced bread and broil 3-4 min. until golden brown edges.
Mixture keeps well in fridge for a few weeks.

9 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

Didn't Griffin just get a hair cut? Does his hair grow abnormally fast?

cjdustin said...

Hang in there! You are doing better than most people at coping. We all have overwhelming days and I know it's a cop out but I just chalk it up to hormones and eat some chocolate and figure I'll be feeling better in a few days. Have a great day!

Stacey said...

Yes, Griffin is a bush man! The kid has a ton of hair! He's getting it cut tomorrow which means it'll be long again by the time you see him!

Vonnie said...

Can I come over for dinner? It looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipes. I'm not a fan of picky eaters either and didn't cater to it much, but I got two just the same.

Vonnie said...

I didn't read through to the end, so hence, the postscript. Sundays ARE hard. No matter what, it wasn't much of a day of rest for anyone in our family. My husband was gone when our kids were young, but he was at the church for 12-14 hours. All day, for many years. It's hard to do it all without help/reinforcements which I didn't have either. Somehow you survive though. The kids get into a routine. You find some Sunday appropriate activities to do, you cook and feed people, and you do it all again the next week. Hang in there!

Lee said...

thanks for the recipes. I love your food- so i'm excited to try those. How about being grateful for aunts? :)

I am proud of all you do on your own much of the time. Your kids will never forget all the awesome memories from their childhood. Keep up the great work.

Ashley May said...

Thanks for the recipes.. I will definitly try them out.. I might do to you what I do to my Mom when I cook.. call five times... "okay now what do I do?"

Lindsey said...

I love those recipes, they're a party pleaser here in this house. I think it's ridiculous for anyone to think that somebody has it "so easy." First of all, we never know what's going on behind the scenes and you're a fool if you think what you see is what you get. Second of all, a positive attitude and good time management can make any life that more fullfilling. I'm also really sad in my heart for the biker that went down and the others that crashed.

The Plewe Clan said...

Well, if this means anything "I think you are amazing"! Having a husband who is gone alot is difficult...Tracy and I understand! Your kids are so lucky to have you as their mom...wanna raise mine? HA HA HA I can't wait until I have a child old enough to babysit...what a great day! By the way, love the picky eater strategy! I do that but will start sending them to their rooms (evil laugh inserted)...someday our kids will die to find out how we get ideas from other moms! Can't wait to see you guys.