Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Today on....This Old House

Todd spent 2 1/2 hours last night as well as 12 hours today out at the Elmers house ("our house" sounds strange to me), tearing out carpet and disposing of it. His fingers are a bit raw!!! Now he has to work a 48 hour shift Wed and Thurs, then move our home Friday and Saturday. Good thing this boy likes projects! Arlon called to see if we wanted to keep this tanning bed. Mmm, no. It's a nice touch out here on the front porch though. I guess it won't clash with the Christmas decor if I just turn it on to light up the night.
I helped Todd load these rolls and pad....well he did 75% of it. 450 square yards of each! I can't believe he got it all in this truck and trailer in one load! Plus he had to unload it himself at the recycle center....tough work.

It was near 60 this afternoon. It felt like one of those cool summer mornings. I only sat for about 1 minute before Todd put me on another assignment. His hired hand for the day got layed up in the hospital, poor guy....so I stepped up at helping Todd out, although I kept gravitating toward cleaning in the kitchen.
You know in home magazines when there is a renovation project and they discover hardwoods underneath old carpet? Tah-dah!! Todd wasn't amused when I announed that I wanted to restore the hardwood and forgo the carpets. It could be done, but it would take a LOT of work and even more money....one day, 10 years down the road perhaps.

My project of the day was cleaning out the kitchen. I am a clean fridge snob. I've said this before...... It's pretty gross when one never wipes out the inside. We wipe off counters and sinks, but what about where all your food is stored day in and day out? People come on! Lastly I went over the floors after the tear out collecting staples and dust. We finally came home after the kids had called to say they were STARVING to have a yummy dinner. I whipped up a batch of cookies while Todd delivered the new pad to Elmer's house and the kids and I watched one of our reality TV shows while Todd hit the sack!
Thanks to Ashley May and Baylor for babysitting Brody. A special thanks to Griffin for watching his brother who is really good at being a two year old. And an additional shout out to Jackson's for letting us borrow this shop vac.
On our next edition: Carpet!!! And lots of it.

3 comments:

Thompson Tales said...

Do you know what? everytime my fridge gets dirty, i think, this would gross stacey out!! I remember you telling me how you felt about gross fridges, and ever since that, i really try to keep mine cleaned (for the most part!!) its just one of those things....tearing out carpet is hard work, and it kills your back taking out all of the staples, that was my fun job when we moved to the condo!! keep up the good work!! and get a massage after you are done moving!!

Steph said...

The house will be gorgeous when you're done!

Annie said...

Promise me you will keep on with the updates. I so wish I was there to help.