Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Twenty somthing! Are you kidding me?

For Mothers Day, Todd asked what I wanted....the answer usually never changes.  "A day to myself".  That day to myself usually involves running or cycling.  This year a few girlfriends from my ward and I signed up at midnight on October 31st to be one of 900 participants in the ever popular all women's Hippie Chic Half Marathon.  It filled in 6 hours!  It's good to have a goal through the rainy and gray winter/spring months.   Most my events I do alone so this was much more fun to drive down and start the race together with friends and to see one another along the course.

I had a goal in mind, and if it wasn't for three young twenty year olds in front of me, I may have gotten it!  I'm not making excuses, but have they had 4 babies and have to get up at the crack of dawn to train? I was hoping to come in 3rd all around and got 5th.  I got 2nd in my age group which is something I never would have imagined when I first began running long distance 13 years ago.  Anything is possible!  Before Griffin was born I'd never gone more than 8 miles. All the miles logged are not always fun.....but the sanity and feeling of accomplishment are always worth it.

After the Ogden Marathon my parents gave me a wooden sign that reads

"I DO NOT RUN TO ADD DAYS TO MY LIFE,
I RUN TO ADD LIFE TO MY DAYS"
Tiffany, Nicole and I basking in the sunshine right before the start.

6 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

I keep considering becoming a runner. I have had dreams for the last 30 years that I am an amazing runner and I always wake up thinking it's a message that I am supposed to be one. But I am so not good at it! Seriously, a mile is hard for me to finish in anything less than 10 minutes. I am SLOW. But I am also fat. So what advice do you have?

Nicole Jackson said...

Girly I think finishing 5th is pretty darn good!!! I thought to myself the other day, maybe I should have eatin cookies the night before and maybe I would have done better!!!:)

Dannielle said...

we are just getting old :)...and I bet those same 20 year olds won't be coming in 5th when they are 37. Y

Thompson Tales said...

That is awesome!!!! You didn't tell me that you did that great!! Like I have always said, I admire anyone who can run, I just don't have it in me, but I am a good cheerleader egging runners on!!!!! Congrats on your race, you are very insprirational!!

tutus n bowties said...

Are you kidding me!! 5th sounds pretty amazing. Especially after having 4 kids. Hello! My goal would be like 20th. Sad I know.

Annie said...

The Century 21 comment will have me laughing hard all day!!!