Friday, September 10, 2010

Green Gables

We hosted the Skeen reunion the first week in August.  Everyone came in Sunday for the week.  There was plenty of room for all.  We had a great time from swimming, volleyball, outdoor movie, hiking Round Lake, biking the Lacamas Trail and picking blueberries.  We went to Cottonwood beach for the day for picnic and boating.  Went to the Rose Test Gardens for picnic and played in the fountains in the Pearl and shopping downtown, plus a full day  and some who stayed overnight, at Cannon Beach.  Each family took turns making delicious meals, desserts and games for the evening.  Pete's and Bundy's Cabo Tacos/flaun and Jamie's Eclair cake were my faves!

My family decided our home needed a name.  A few suggestions that made the list were:
The Lake House (not original enough)
Forrest Knoll (lived there, done that)
Green Gables (or as Linny says "Green Gambles"
and the most funny...
Despereaux Chateau
(Sara is up at 4:30a.m. to workout with me and sees a mouse run across the kitchen and is stitting on the counter saying "hoochie mama, hoochie mama" when I come into the room...hence, Despereaux the mouse!)

Dad poured cement and got us all set with a sweet volleyball court.  Giant beach volleyball was a nightly hit!


Cody helped get the swing in working order and the kids loved that as much as anything else!


Lucky for us our day at the River was perfect weather for tubing.  Now that was a blast. I know it was Jamies favorite day of the whole trip.  Seeing Cody hang on the back of the tube for dear life was priceless!


We had a picnic set up on the beach and the kids entertained themselves well in the sand.  Spencer and Emma finding joy in the small pleasures of life!



Papa set up a movie out back.  We watched "Old Dogs" and had tiki torches and movie munchies. 


I insisted we go blueberry picking. You can't visit the NW and not go get fresh berries, walk downtown or go to Cannon Beach.  Those are crimes many hosts commit to their guests!




The Rose Gardens are always a perfect spot to enjoy a delicious picnic lunch.  The kids love The Children's Park just up the block and playing in the Jamison Sqaure Fountain with Hot Lips breadsticks while the women do some quick shopping in the Pearl, rounds out a nice afternoon.


5 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

I want to go back!! We were playing a game the other night and the question was "If you could live anywhere in the world for the rest of your life, where would it be?" Spencer's answer was Aunt Stacey's House. Ahhh, Green Gambles. How we love thee. I need a hard copy of the picture of us girls at the Rose Garden. What are the odds of you sending me a 4x6 for my fridge?

Nicole Jackson said...

A fun family reunion for the Skeens!!! So is that the name for the homestead??? You are a great host maybe too great because they will all want to come again and again, are you sure you are ready for that??? BTW we did get ready for church at Mossyrock but the Morton WA ward which was 30 min away must have been having Stake Conf cus there was noone there, so instead we drove around and found that awesome pic spot!

Lee said...

Loved seeing all these pictures- you did a great job w/ everything, and I know you and Todd were the perfect hosts. The sisters pict is darling. Love the movie night. What name have you decided on for your house? I'm reading Pride and Prejudice right now, and all their houses have names, so it's the right thing to do!

Lindsey said...

I like the delay on this post b/c it reminds me of what a great time we had. Love the editing on your photos as well. I am SO Mad I didn't take more photos..duh! I also love your previous post, I didn't know Todd redid the pool house, it sure looks great! I also LOVED your blonde hair, you should do it again next summer. I think I love your blog posts more than anyone, because I really have NO idea what is going on with you. Keep 'em coming!

Annie said...

Kid, I waited and waited for this post so I could steal pictures and you took too long:(
I really love the one of my girls at the rose garden.
Such a great vacation.